Pages

Thursday 6 April 2017

Clot de Galvany


As there was a report of a pair of Garganey present at the Clot I thought I'd plan a visit to this new location near Alicante Airport. Up at the usual time to the sound of the now regular Cuckoo calling (Cuckoo clock!) which has been present for the last couple of days at the property I head off up the N332 to Alicante armed with some rudimentary directions. Arriving at Grand Alicant I easily find the correct N332 turnoff, then left at the roundabout, straight across the next and a second left turn and I'm there. 

I can here Little Grebe and Mallard calling, Swifts, Swallows, Sand, House Martins are plentiful overhead, I make my way to the main carpark....bad move, better to park on the road near the public hides. I locate the first hide which now has a well developed reed bed making it difficult to observe, Little Grebe, Mallard, Coot and Moorhen being the predominate species, I only spend a short time here as I need to back at the property by midday hence not seeing the Garganey. Moving on to the second hide which is far more open allowing for better observation, species of noted include Cattle Egret, Purple Heron, Red Crested Pochard, Common Pochard, White Wagtail, Serin, Turtle Dove and also the more common species.

From a photography perspective the timing of a morning visit is all wrong, for hide viewing the sun azimuth is slightly in front and too the side, better timing for April would be to visit late afternoon when the sun would be behind viewing, never the less I make the best of the conditions and concentrate photographing the Red Crested Pochard.

Thanks for looking

Click image for clarity....









No comments:

Post a Comment