Pages

Friday 14 April 2017

Salinas Good Friday


Another fantastically sunny day and yes i'm off to the salinas at San Pedro. Parking at the visitors centre at main road end of the salinas it obvious its a bank holiday, there are runners and cyclists a plenty out early enjoying the early morning sunshine.

Making my way to the hides overlooking the small lake, as on other visits I have yet to see anything of interest other that a couple of summer migrants, a Spotted Flycatcher and female Blackcap, so its back to the car to make my way down to "mosquito alley" to look for migrant wagtails. 

The carpark is filling up with walkers heading through the dunes to the beach which suites me as I head the other way along the salt pan embankment. I again locate Blue Headed and White Wagtails that have been here for a couple of days, and a very close encounter with a Turnstone showing the signs of a new summer plumage. A Green Finch lands on a scrub bush two metres away providing a good photo op but other than that, little else

Occasionally flamingos fly overhead moving from one salt pan to another which provides good photo ops, a group of five Mediterranean Gulls pass over head with there unmistakable call. Its now become quite busy so its time to called it a day at the salt pans

Driving past Camposeven growers at La Romero, I see a multi coloured bird perched on a fence, my first instinct is Roller, stopping the car I see its a Bee-eater, in fact probably up to twenty, hawking insects over a field recently harvested of crops, a nice photo op so close to the accomadation.

Click image for clarity













No comments:

Post a Comment