Pages

Sunday 29 October 2017

Rocking in Gwent


I’m back down in the Forest of Dean this weekend at one of my favourite times of the year. Autumn has taken its grip with the trees now a mixture of golden browns with some still hanging on to the last of their summer green. Whilst I’m in the FOD it's my intension to photograph the Rock Thrush that's taken up residence in Pwll-Du Quarry at the top of the Blorenge mountain just over the boarder in Gwent.

Rock Thrush a summer migrant to the high peaks of southern Europe making it a rare sighting in the UK, even stranger it should now be wintering south of the Sahara in Africa instead it's taken up residence in a quarry in Wales !

Having seen some splendid images over the last couple of weeks on various internet birding sites I was keen to have a look for myself, it's too far as a one off “twitch” for me these days but well worth a visit if I'm down in the FOD, and its only thirty minutes from the house.

I arrive at around 8.0 am just as its becoming light and already two two cars are parked up, I get the gear ready and make the one kilometre walk with another birder with stunning views over Abergavenny below to the quarry the reported location of the bird. One of the disadvantages of being in a small group is it takes a little longer to locate the bird. I search the quarry rock face and boulder fall and after about thirty minuets the bird is located on a grassed area in front of the quarry eating an early morning breakfast of meal worms put down earlier by birders and photographers.

Over the next three hours I enjoy close views of a very confiding Rock Thrush down to distances as little as five metres well within range of the “big white” for a some detailed images of the bird. 

Its now around midday and with some 1,500 images in the bag and the viewing gallery now around fifty birders enjoying some mega close views, I call it a day.

I’ve been told some last minuet shopping is on the agenda for this afternoon...doh !


Click image and view full screen

Common Rock Thrush (Rock Thrush)














Meadow Pipit


No comments:

Post a Comment