Pages

Wednesday 24 July 2019

Third Time Lucky

Staple Island & Inner Farne - 23.7.19


Its back to Seahouses today for a last visit of the season out to the Farne Isles, well you have to get your moneys worth of National Trust membership and as this is the seventh trip for the both of us in a little over a month we are quids in.

Today weather forecast is more suited to Southern Spain with blue sky's and expected temperatures of around twenty five degrees, don't get me wrong I love being at the seaside in nice warm sunshine but when it come to photographing birds it can cause all sorts of issues getting the exposure right "blowing out" the whites or just loose all colour in the harsh sunlight.

After my last abortive trip failing to get on Staple Island once again I'm back at the harbour for the 9.30am departure full of expectation today is the day I finally make it. I'm always amazed that these mid-week boat trips are so popular with today being no exception, the boats chock-a-block full of the usual suspects, European tourists enjoying the sights and sounds not usually found in other parts of Europe and of course people of leisure....like me.

Before I get into the report I thought I'd touch on what I lens I generally use. Recently I read on a forum I sometimes visit on recommendations on camera lens for photographing birds at such close distances, some prefer "going light" with lens up to 300mm but personally I like to use a 500mm f4 on occasion with the 1.4 extender giving better bird to background separation, for flight shots I use the flexibility of the 100-400 zoom, but this a personal preference and other people may go a different route, but I have to admit sometimes I wonder lugging all the gear around....is it worth it.

Well it looks like we are going to make on to Staple...third time lucky !

Work in progress...... 

Atlantic Puffin







Sandwich Tern

Next up on the days activities is Inner Farne, after landing you immediately enter the "danger zone" !....the main Arctic Tern breeding area where dive booming by the parent birds trying to move you along is the norm, but as this is not the first visit of the season to Inner Farne I'm pushing on up to the lighthouse. 

On the way up at the centre of the island is the location of the noisy Sandwich Tern colony where terns fly around constantly calling whilst carrying a fish they aren't prepared to give up, land with more fish waving only to promptly take off into the air again, managing few images of the aerobatics it's time to press on.


Rock Pipit - juvenile

Keen too push on up to the lighthouse to get one of the few unobstructed positions on the small viewing area I'm the first to arrive and straight away pick up a juvenile Rock Pipit calling incessantly on the nearby rocks, the ranger tasked to make sure we all behave confirming they had successful bred nearby. The sunlight is harsh, oh for some nice cloud cover..I manage some images and within a minuet or two the pipit disappears over the cliff edge...now that was a lucky start !





Eider Duck - female

Returning back to Seahouses after your days island hopping it's always worthwhile on a low tide visiting the small bay at the back of the harbour where you can usually find Eider Duck feeding amongst the rocks, they will even come investigate if they think there's some free offerings going, surprisingly thou I see that many males and one image of a male in full breeding plumage would be just fine.





Eider Duck - juvenile

Couple of images of one of the juveniles that were in tow of two females.


9 comments:

  1. Paul Samuels !! Your photos have always been so fabulous that it is very rare for me to raise a complaint.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a resourceful article it is! Thank you for sharing this with us. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elder duck is the best. Loved all the photographs but ducks are supoerior. Great post appreciate sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rock pipit is somewhat familiar. It looks great and has an unique cuteness to it. Loved all the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always liked wild life photography and your photo looked awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are some fantastic photos. I like them very much. Great photography.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great work with the post. Fantastic photos.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really enjoyed reading your blog post about your photography adventures. Your pictures are beautiful and you really captured the essence of your destinations. I also like the way you choose to use images to make your blog posts interesting and engaging. Hair Masking Service

    ReplyDelete
  9. Its always great and helpful to hear from a photographer himself about the real photography experience. As people use to face the same kind of issues during taking the shots. Thank you for sharing all of these tips with us here. image editing service

    ReplyDelete