Pages

Wednesday 19 April 2017

Elton Little Gull


Whilst at Elton photographing the Garganey a Little Gull had been present for a few days which I had attempted to photograph, but due to rain and the gull staying in the middle of the lake opportunities where proving slightly challenging.

With the improving weather for the bank holiday Monday I arrive at Elton expecting to see gulls...but there weren't any !....apart from a single gull at the far end of the reservoir...the Little Gull. 

I make my way to the farm at the far end and set up the camera, the gull seems to have a routine, flying/feeding then resting with the Blacked Headed Gulls. The gull fly's towards me, then suddenly gains height and fly's off in the direction of Withins Reservoir and its gone, I thought thats it, the gull has moved on. 

With a little patience the gull returns, and for the rest of the day and the following day, I make the most of the photo op to record this great bird locally as I'm sure it's only a matter of a very short period of time before the gull moves on to its breeding grounds in Scandinavia/Baltic States.

Interestingly looking at some of the images the gull appears to tuck its feet up into its plumage, looks rather odd as you would think the gull has no feet!

Foot note, 21/04/17...visited Elton this morning and there was no sign of the Little Gull, appears to have moved on

Click image to view......
















No comments:

Post a Comment