Pages

Thursday 25 April 2019

Quick Trip Before The Sun

Great Orme, Llandudno - 25.4.19


I've seen some great images over the last couple of days, the Spotted Crake on Teeside, various BOP's and suff at Blacktoffed/Far Ings and three Dotterel on the The Great Orme in Llandudno. As I'm off to Murcia at the end of the week I'd like one more "local" trip before the off......so I'm off to Wales !

Buzzz...buzzz......the alarms sounds, it's 5.30am I'm off to The Great Orme at Llandudno to try and photograph 3 Dotterel that have been present for the last couple of days on the lime stone pavement on the end of the rocky outcrop. Why so early?..well two fold, one to beat the inevitable Manchester traffic congestion, the other I'm not sure these three "mountain waders" are going to hang around much longer before they continue heading north to their breeding grounds.

Work progress....text and more images to follow

These are just some of the many images taken over a two hour period many with just me present, I may change or add more images in the future as I'm going through the thousands finding the next best image.


Dotterel - female



Looking at the right leg of the female Dotterel you can just make out a leg ring the serial number on the ring giving all relevant data at the time of "ringing". Having enlarged and reviewed a number of images I believe the serial number to be....SVI0931 which I've sent to the BTO for further information.

Just received an email from the BTO regarding the ringed female Dotterel....

Ringing Scheme: London Ring Number: SV10931 Species of bird: Dotterel (Charadrius morinellus)
This bird was ringed by K Jones as age 2nd year, sex female on 23-Apr-2019 22:00:00 at Great Orme, Conwy, UK
OS Map reference SH7583 accuracy 0, - co-ordinates 53deg 20min N -3deg -52min W accuracy -.
It was found on 25-Apr-2019 time unknown at Great Orme, Conwy, UK
OS Map reference SH7583 accuracy 0, - co-ordinates 53deg 19min N -3deg -52min W accuracy 0.
Finding condition: Sight record by non-ringer
Finding circumstances: Metal Ring Read In Field
Extra Information: Reported as SVI0931
It was found 2 days after it was ringed, 2 km from the ringing site, direction W.




The ring is clearly visible in this image.

Dotterel - male





In this image the male Dotterel just got to close for the 700mm lens I was shooting, all I've done to image is to adjust the aspect ratio and "pop" the image, just goes to show how close these fearless "mountain waders" will approach. 






No comments:

Post a Comment