Pages

Sunday 21 April 2019

A Forest Morning

Cannop, Forest of Dean - 21.4.19


This week bird migration seems to have finally be getting up to speed unfortunately I've been travelling back and forth to the Forest of Dean missing out on a lot of the action and to add I've only managed to get out in the forest for a few hours on each occasion today being no exception.

It's 5.30am, as my mother has the temperature like a hot house where you could grow bananas I tend to sleep with the window open, the "dawn chorus" has just started and to kick it all off is a solo by a Mistle Thrush...just magical, the Blackbirds join and its all over in maybe thirty minuets. Now wide awake can't go back to sleep, time to get up and get out.

I'm in the Cannop valley mainly due too it's easy photography which is a benefit to this mornings limited time. The sun's just poking over the tree tops the low light creating a richness in colour that will soon disappears later in the day so I hopeful for some nice images of the resident Mandarin Ducks.

Sat on one of the fishing platforms it's a case of waiting for the right photo opportunity rather than casing birds which never seem to work, in any case I have a great angle for the sun which is sure to be a little harsh later on in a cloudless blue sky.

The lowish sun angle is creating some nice colour with yellow and green of the surroundings reflected in the water but change your angle slightly and it all disappears to grey-white. Now 10.0 am I've exhausted the photo ops on offer so one last try for the Grey Wagtails and I call time and head for home.

Mandarin Duck - male










Mandarin Duck - female




Little Grebe

There's always several Little Grebe's on the top pond constantly chattering with that high pitch shrill occasional after a dive surfacing where you least expect right in front of you, this chap surfaced tussling with what appears to be a Roach far bigger than I would normally expect, a case of bigger the better I suppose.



Gadwall - male

Cruising around was a paired up male and female Gadwall, the grey and black bottom male looking a little scruffy in its mottled plumage.


Gawall - male & female



Mallard - male

Not so often I get to photograph these pretty common ducks but in some great light why not !

No comments:

Post a Comment