Pages

Thursday 4 April 2019

Gone Local

Watergrove, Rochdale - 4.4.19


Around mid-day today I got wind of a possible Common or Mealy Redpoll that was associating with a group of Lesser Redpolls showing on the edge of a local wood, the light being is a little on the grim side and a forecast of rain later never the less I thought I'd give a go and get some images.

Clattering up a cobbled road I'm at a new location for me further more I haven't got the foggiest idea where I'm supposed to be heading, so with the gear loaded up I decide to head off in the direction of the wood in the distance. It's all very quite until I see another chap out with a scope....ah a birder !...he sets me straight to where I should be heading and bingo....birds mainly finches everywhere.

Although I'm not out birding logging species winter birds seem to be the order noting, numerous male and female Lesser Redpolls, what appears to be a whiter Mealy Redpoll, up to 4 Brambling, 4 other types of finch, a solitary Reed Bunting amongst many others that keep me occupied for the short period I'm on site. Now with the deteriorating light requiring me to shooting at iso 4,000 and light drizzle setting in decide I call it a day.

I may very well try again tomorrow.

Click image to view....

Common or Mealy Redpoll

A stand out bird and easily picked out amongst the darker browner Lesser Redpoll's



Lesser Redpoll

Estimating up to ten birds present not always easy to count when you are concentrating trying to get that one mega image.


Brambling - male

Both male and female birds present but due to disturbance from several walkers, a dog, rain and eventually low light I never managed an image of the female.


No comments:

Post a Comment