Pages

Sunday 16 January 2022

Inland Sub-Mariner

Knotford Nook Gravel Pits - 14.1.22

At this time of year I'm always on the lookout for opportunities to get images of the various divers that visit inland water particularly if the lakes are not to large hopefully to get nearer the bird, and with reports of a juvenile Great Northern Diver on a small lake near Otley I'm off to see what's on offer.

Unfamiliar with the area it's soon evident this is a big fishing area and unfortunately the diver's located on a private fishing lake surrounded by a four meter high fence and a sturdy locked gate. A quick rece I locating a lone fisherman further round the lake and start chatting hopeful I can maybe blag my way in, but there's not chance so not wanting a wasted journey time for a change of plan.

Now I've photographed through fencing before and as long as you get the lens right up against the fence your in with a chance of a reasonable image, so with the sun in the right direction and finding a gap in the trees line that's the plan, its just a case of waiting for the diver will come within range of the camera.

The diver occasionally come within range but but frustratingly the trees are an issue but still I manage a handful of images, then and an angler appears with more gear than you can imagine pulled along on a four wheel trolley enough gear that would fill a transit van, a brief chat he's tells me he here until Sunday nights, three days !....time to call it a day. 

Happy I managed to get some images in the camera and even more happy to get out on what's turned into a cracking day. Stay safe.

Great Northern Diver - juvenile








No comments:

Post a Comment