Pages

Sunday 4 March 2018

Ready For Vis Mig In The Sun

As I write this blog currently the external temperature is hovering around one degree with the last remains of snow still, on the other hand the corresponding temperature in Murcia is somewhat warmer at 20 degrees and sun, no need to tell you where I prefer to be right now !

With the flights booked for spring migration in the sun and the weather being pretty dire here, I thought I’d post some of my more notable images from my visits over the last twelve months in Murcia.

These images of a Black Winged Stilts were all taken at the Salinas de San Pedro. The first image was taken early morning before the increased temperature and wind, the water was flat calm giving this great reflective image, this was one of many I could have included.


The next two images were taken at probably my favourite location but in differing light conditions, the first in cloudy conditions with the wind generating waves on the shoreline, the second in flat calm early morning sun conditions.


This image was taken early morning around 8.30 am my favoured time, the brown colour in the water is a result of the low sun reflecting the mud bank in the water.


Just a selection of other waders taken at the Salinas de SanPedro, you probably guessed this is my main area for photography.

Redshank


Greenshank


Kentish Plover


Little Ringed Plover


Little Stint


Curlew Sandpiper


Ruff


Sanderling


Avocet


Occasionally you my come across two species of gull that are not that common along the coast of the Mediterranean, the Slender Billed Gull and the Audouins Gull, both of these gull can usually be found at salinas San Pedro more than any other location.

Audouins Gull


Slender Billed Gull


The next images are from several areas including El Hondo wetland reserve near Elche

Glossy Ibis


Little Egret


Squacco Heron


Greater Flamingo


Purple Heron


Little Bittern


Just a couple of images of the smaller stuff from around the area, some less that half a mile from the property.

Bluethroat

Taken at San Filipe Centre, El Hondo. The bird was hopping around the garden, at first I though it was a Robin (not common) put the bins on it...a Bluethroat ! Over the next thirty mins I must have taken five hundred images down the three metres before it departed.


Stonechat

Taken at one of my wader locations, this chap made an appearance to see what I was up to.


Stone Curlew

Some evenings sat out having a beer you can hear Stone Curlew calling which are to be found amongst the orange groves, this image was taken from the car through a wire fence just before sunset. get out of the car and their off !


Blacked Necked Gebe

In winter groups of up to two hundred can regularly been seen at the Salinas San Pedro, if your lucky they come close to the boardwalk. The summer image was taken at El Hondo Reserve where they breed in numbers



Male and female White Headed Duck can be seen through out the region but the best location I've found is Vistabella Road Hides at El Hondo in summer



To finish off a summer migrant that can seen most areas, but you've got to be sneaky !

Bee-eater



No comments:

Post a Comment