Pages

Monday 12 March 2018

Black-necked Grebe Visits Elton


More rain again and it doesn’t look like it’s stopping any time soon, checking the weather forecast and the afternoon looks a little better so I’m off to try for some images of a Black Necked Grebe that turned up at Elton Reservoir a couple of days back, still uncommon in this area not like the hundreds seen at the San Pedro salinas in Murcia.

The best side of the reservoir for photography is always the North West side shooting back towards the boat house with the light behind but no such issues today as it’s grey and overcast, at least the rain has now stopped. 

The track is like a bog so I need to take care as the last time I landed on my backside in the mud. I locate the Scaup still hanging around the far end of the reservoir but I can't see the Black Necked Grebe, continuing round to the hard track I locate the BNG on the side I’ve just travelled along so back I go. 

Grebes dive and stay under for about twenty-seconds at a time so the plan is to stay stationary in the tree line, when the grebe dives….run and move closer. I’m now amongst the reeds at the waters edge, I’m not sure wether the grebe has seen me but it carries on diving and I move as close as I’m going to get, in position I'm all set to take some images.

The conditions today are a little different to what I usually preferr, but the wind is producing some nice waves rather than flat water. Making the most of the conditions I have more than enough images albeit a little closer would have been better, I call it a day.


Black Necked Grebe










No comments:

Post a Comment