Pages

Wednesday 16 January 2019

Forest Crossbills

16th January 2019


Over the last few weeks there's been a number of great images appearing on various internet sites of a group of Crossbills visiting puddles on tracks in the Forest of Dean which I'm keen to photograph, but first there's the small task of finding out where the birds are visiting. I don't always like asking sighting locations as sometimes people just want to keep it all to themselves so generally I don't, so reading various posts and with my local knowledge I soon recognised the location.

I'm due to fly out to Murcia on the weekend so its a quick couple of days midweek in the FOD to say hello to my mum then I'm out and about. The weather this morning is overcast and grey but at least its dry, my first task is to get there early grabbing a prime spot, I can't imagine what the weekend will be like probably chockablock in any case I'll be in the sun by then.

Crossbills due they're diet need to drink regularly to aid digestion and once they find a water source they are pretty much a regular visitor to the same location around the same time, the information I've read suggests the birds arrive around 10.30 am so that's the plan.

It's a ten minuet drive arriving just as it's becoming light, unbelievable there's two car already here...dedication ! now the waiting. Bang on the time the Crossbills arrive as predicted, twittering in the trees overhead, the first bird lands at the puddle and drinks and the rest follow, its all action with the birds only staying a short time so you have to be quick.

All too soon probably only ten minuets the action is over the birds not returning for the remainder of my visit up and until 12.30 pm, with no immediate prospect of the birds returning I call it a day.

Tomorrow's another day..

Crossbill


Red Male






Red Male & Yellow / Green Female







1 comment: