Pages

Wednesday 9 January 2019

A Long-eared Owl Day

9th January 2019


Today I'm having a day out at one of my favourite birding locations from yesteryear, in fact my last visit was this month around twenty five years ago to visit another Long-eared Owl roost I viewed several times over the winter, today I'm back and interested to see how the location has changed.

The weather over the last few weeks has been pretty dire and I've not been motivated in adding to the collection of duff images, but today with a forecast of some good light and sunny intervals I'm hopefully going to reacquaint myself with probably the rarest of our resident owls of our region....the Long-eared Owl.

As I approach the roost site through a gap in the hedge I can easily see two owls sat in a copse enjoying the morning sunshine, it's not surprising these owls were picked up if you were nearby of what would normally be a rare owl. Already there's six other birders on site seven including me either watching or taking images and I'm keen to join in.

I've now been on site forty five minuets with maybe five hundred images on the camera card, unfortunately despite changing position several times most of the images are all the same ! I suppose you'd expect that as they aren't moving around a lot so I decide to enjoy the encounter and do some old fashion birding instead.

When your engrossed looking down the camera lens its surprising what detail you're likely missing, aside for the two main birds in shot I detect a further three owls sat in the copse, two well hidden and a third further round in the open but I never manage to get all three owls in a single shot.

It's been a great day and well worth revisiting one of my old favourites, it's changed somewhat, more over grown, a little more ragged round the edges but still a magnet for a wide variety of birds and well worth revisiting again in the future. 

Long-eared Owl








No comments:

Post a Comment