Pages

Wednesday 7 November 2018

I Got A Mega Twitch

Meols, Wirral - 7.11.18


So there I am browsing the Twitter feed as you do, and up pops a post stating that a "mega" Pied Wheatear has turned up on the Wirral, the bird being found a couple of days earlier but only now has been made public on the inter network.

Pied Wheatear's are a migratory bird spending the summer in eastern Europe to Middle East and over wintering in north east and eastern Africa so completely way off it's normal migration route, you can imagine the excitement that this small traveller has had on the birding community having turned up in the north west of the UK.

The plan for today is to arrive at Meols at around 8.0 am which means being elevated to the rank of commuter with all the benefits of motorway queuing. It's dark and raining when I set off which puts a dampener (no pun intended) on getting any decent images that's assuming the bird is still there of course. Anyway two motorway accidents later and a detour as a result of the closure of the M62 I arrive twenty minuets later than intended at around 8.30am, hopefully time for some action!

As I approach Meols esplanade to my right there's already a group of observes, I'm not sure if they are looking or watching so before I get the gear out I go and investigate, as I approach to my amazement the Wheatear is sat on the sea wall no more than three or four meters away, no time to waste and I run back to the car for the gear, all the gym work has defiantly paid off !

Contrary to todays forecast the weather is calm, bright, with the occasional blue sky ideal for some decent images. Initially I bast away on rapid fire which I need to control, but at least with this method there's always a chance of that unusual shot. Over the next couple of hours the bird is very confiding alternating between the sea wall and occasionally the walkway giving numerous photo opportunities, but I'm waiting for that unusual shot a little different to what most photo togs are curently getting, but aren't we all !

Now midday I've shot nearly 3K of images, surely I have at least one images worth keeping ! It's been a great morning session and seeing some familiar faces CB amongst others very enjoyable, I decide to call it a day. After my initial reservation about making the trip I'm glad I made the effort, I've taken  hopefully some decent images in good decent light which I'm now keen to review. Looking forward to the next adventure.

As a footnote the Wheatear remained for a further two day's and was last seen on Friday 9.11.81 undoubtedly disappointing many who had planned a visit over the weekend, that's how it goes sometimes.

Pied Wheatear (first winter male)






This image shows the Wheatear ejecting a pellet or maybe something it had eaten that it didn't agree with.




The following two images where featured with accreditation in BirdGuides weekly review of the first ever Cheshire appearance of the Pied Wheatear. The first image is was used on the front of the review and the second as feature image within the review itself.

Also in the review is an image of the Wheatear by Lincoln based birder Paul C who I sometimes cross paths with around the UK and also the Murcia region in southern Spain.

BirdGuides.com link.......https://t.co/W4mNlxnDJI

News Letter Front Page image


As of 19/02/2019....I'm now in the paid ranks of a professional wildlife photographer with my first ever paid for image published in January's edition of Birdwatch Magazine, all I need now is get about fifty a week published to make it pay !


News Letter Review internal image













BirdGuides Newsletter.



No comments:

Post a Comment