Pages

Saturday 17 November 2018

Ghost On The Wye

Wye Valley - 17.11.18


Over the last couple of weeks I've noted reports of a very unusual rare white crow that's appeared down on one of my favourite parts of the river Wye. As a regular visitor I was surprise I hadn't see it and can only assume this was one of this years birds that has now set up territory in this popular walking area. Reading through the reports it took a little while to work out where the bird was located but with all the clues and my local knowledge it was ultimately an easy task.

I had planned a visit and try for some images last week, but due to the torrential rain I decided to give it a miss until today. Not wanting to arrive too early as this part of the Wye with its steep sides isn't likely to get any decent light until mid morning so after the drive last night it was a welcome lie in.

True albinism whereby the melanin pigment is missing resulting in a pure white bird with pink eyes is rare in adult wild birds. This is because those affected usually have some or severe eyesight problems and don't survive very long once they are independent from parental care, of course they are also more conspicuous to predators.

More common but still a rare condition where the feather pigment is missing is a bird with normal eyes, theses crows are still vulnerable being white, but crows being bigger have few predators apart for maybe the resident Yat Peregrines and the lucky to see Goshawk.

Driving towards the carpark, I can see in the distance standing out like a beacon the crow sat in a tree now devoid of all it's golden autumn glory. No time to waste I get the gear out as there's always a chance the crow will disappear up into the canopy

I'm now on the river bank level with the crow sat in tree opposite calling and displaying to another black crow that on occasions interacts with the "white ghost" It's so preoccupied that it remains stationary which helps lowering the shutter speed in the not so great low light, on occasion the bird even obliges by perching on a dead branch which make for better images with it's uncluttered background rather than the tangled mass of finger like brown tree branches.

Now some sixty minuets after my arrival the bird departs to upper parts of the Yat gorge, but I've managed nearly 2k of images so confident there's one or two "keepers" and decide head back the short drive to enjoy a nice warm breakfast, now that's how I like it birding with a three mile travel distance !

Carrion Crow (albino)












No comments:

Post a Comment