Pages

Sunday 25 November 2018

Bolton Sea Duck

High Rid Reservoir, Bolton - 25.11.18


Female Velvet Scoter found on High Rid Reservoir Saturday, the word is out !

High Rid Reservoir a new venue for me even thou I know the area quite well located between Bolton and Horwich. The last notable time I was in Horwich was to play a North West Counties league squash match, one of the opposition players later to go on and be the British Open and World Squash Champion, but I digress.

The local inter network airways are buzzing that on Saturday evening a female Velvet Scoter had be found that day on a moorland reservoir in Bolton, being quite near to home and the fact that I hadn't seen a Velvet Scoter in Greater Manchester since the one found at Debdale Park way back in 1978 I thought I give it a go.

As I set off on the short drive over to Bolton I'm pleasantly surprised the sun is trying to make an appearance on what was supposed to be a grey day...but by heck is it cold. Parking up right next to the reservoir I can see several people already looking at a group of maybe six Coot and in tow is the Scoter, not bad I've only been on site ten minuets !

The Scoter is a little skittish moving away easily getting lost in the large waves whipped up by the strong wind only then to dive to take another ten or so minuets to find again. Again loosing the duck we relocate to the far end of the reservoir where it is eventually found, this time happy to dive and feed reasonably close to the side.

For a brief period we enjoy the appearance of sun which improves the images a little, but they still lack colour on a cold grey day that maybe would be better spent indoors. There's now quite a crowed either watching or trying to get an image of this scares interloper that should be way out at sea rather than appearing on an inland reservoir.

Having managing to get as good a shot as I'm likely to get on the day, I call it a day just as the last of sunlight disappears behind another blanket of grey.

Time to head home warm up with a nice hot drink

Velvet Scoter (possibly juvenile - see last image)












This image below not the best, shows the white underside of the scoter which is a characteristic more often seen in juvenile birds

No comments:

Post a Comment