Pages

Monday 5 November 2018

It Started Out A Nice Day !

Birtle Lodge, Rochdale - 5.11.18


What a great morning, the sun's no time to waste so it's a quick visit to Birtle Lodge to see what's about, maybe I'll get lucky and sneak up on some Goosanders. Quick scan I note all the Wigeon that were present last week apart from single female have now departed, towards the bottom end of the lake there are maybe five Goosander diving and fishing close to some overhanging trees, so grabbing the gear I make my way to the usual location on the south side of the lake.

Moving slowly along path using the hedge as cover still ladened in golden leaf foliage I try to remain undetected, but Goosander are one of the most alert of water ducks and I'm afraid I've been detected...again! Not giving up I get out the throw over hide, set up and wait.

Now a couple of hours later with little luck getting any worth while images I decide to call time. Near the carpark there is a smaller lodge which sometimes can have an odd bird of interest so always worth a look, on the bank four Goosander resting, a female and three juveniles, they see me and take to the water not wanting cooperate posing for this strange being with whats looks like a gun, time for a plan !

I'm probably only going to get a brief chance of some images so using the slopping bank as cover I setup the gear and the bottom of the bank, better now rather than get in a panic and landing on my backside in front of all lunch time dinners tripping into the Pavilion Restaurant. As I reach the top of the bank probably level with the water the sawbills moves to the far side under the trees, not the best of backgrounds for an image but at least it's a shot. Thirty seconds later their off and fly back on to the main lake,

If was easy all the time it wouldn't be any fun !

Goosander (red head - juvenile)




1 comment: