Pages

Tuesday 8 May 2018

Manchester Wood Warbler

8th May - Brookdale Park, Newton Heath


I've been back in the Forest of Dean over the weekend spending most of Saturday at Nagshead area of the forest attempting to get images of Redstart, Pied Flycatcher and Wood Warbler. In previous years it's been relatively easy to locate the "big three" but not any longer as there appears to be a big drop in summer migrant numbers visiting the forest, so on Sunday it's plan "B" and do a bit of Adder watching which I will post at a later date.

With the disappointment of the weekend and at the same time a Wood Warbler over the last few days taking up residence in a Greater Manchester park wood I though I'd try for this bird instead. Wanting to arrive as early as possible means doing battle with the commuter traffic something I'm not used to latterly but the stat nav dose it's job again, a marvel of modern technology getting me exactly where I need be.

As I'm setting up I can hear the warbler with it's distinctive trill-tuh-tuh song in the nearby wood so it's all positive for a encounter. As I make my way along the path I meet a birding and he shows me the general location where the warbler has claimed it's small territory in a very green area of the wood, occasionally the warbler chases off an unwelcome Chiffchaff that's strayed into it's territory at a speed you wouldn't believe for a small bird.

Starting with the 100-400 but it's quickly evident this lens is going to be way to short for any decent images so I change to the "big white" complete with 1.4 extender giving 1,120mm focal length, the down side being is it can be a little slower getting the bird in the viewer.

Work in progress

click image to view

Wood Warbler








No comments:

Post a Comment