Pages

Tuesday 1 May 2018

Spring Flycatchers

1st May - Strid Wood, Yorkshire Dales


I'm off up the Yorkshire Dales today to one of our favourite locations, Bolton Abbey. The last time I was here was about six weeks ago then it was very busy, cold, but a bright sunny day. Walking the entire circuit from the old abbey to the Strid bridge and back ticking off... Kingfisher, Dipper, Mandarin Duck and Goosander to name just a few but summer migrants had yet to return preferring to remain in their warmer winter residence.

It's now May and while it's still a bit on the cold side some summer migrants have started to return particularly Pied Flycatchers, so after a recent disapointing visit to Nagshead in the FOD failing to see any flycatchers I'm looking forwards to meeting up again with these very photogenic birds.

As I’m walking around the wood I can hear a male Pied Flycatcher singing on territory, as I watch the flycatcher moves around the tree canopy all the while trying to attract a mate or possibly informing other males “this is may patch keep” occasional a tit ventures in to its territory which quickly gets sent packing.

Sitting up against a tree I’m ideally placed to get some close images but under the tree canopy the light conditions are always variable, nevertheless I think I get some ok images. It’s now some two hours watching and photographing the Pied Flycatcher thinking I have all the shots I need from the session I decide to move on and try for some images of Dipper along the river.
Click image to view

Pied Flycatcher - Male










As I'm walking along the river path a Redstart appears from the river bank, bullet like disappears up into the tree canopy never giving me an opportunity for any images, I continue with my search for Dipper.

Sat on a rock I locate two Dippers, an adult and a fledgling, the fledgling bobbing is constantly encouraging the adult to provide food, as I watch the birds I try and figure where I can position may self as close water as possible to get that preferred low angle shot.

Now in position and as predicted the adult Dipper lands on a rock just to my right, it stays only a few seconds before moving to another rock even closer enabling some close images, then it’s gone further up the river…..job done !

Dipper




Now mid afternoon it's been a successful encounter in good weather and I’ve managed to see and photograph my two target birds, it’s good when a plan comes together.

No comments:

Post a Comment