Pages

Tuesday 15 December 2020

Morning Out Before The Monsoon

Elton Reservoir - 15.12.20

With the imminent arrival of mega amounts of rain for probably for the remainder of the week I thought I check up on the long staying Greater Scaup on Elton Reservoir to see how it's plumage is evolving. Its only a six mile or so drive to Elton and better still only a short walk to where I intend to set up on the edge of a small inlet called the "Creek" but as I mention previously I first have to navigate my way across what's now becoming Bury's biggest bog.

The light looks good, not too much sun light cloud and light winds and I'm looking forward to see what's on offer for the session. The Scaup is pretty much where it's been hanging around over the last few weeks in a small creek associating with a Tufted Duck which it seems to find some reassurance, well my appearance quickly puts pay to that and they both venture off to the middle of the reservoir, time to setup wait enjoying the sights and sounds of this little bit of countryside with the drum of city life in the background.

The Scaup eventually returns entering right into the creek almost at a point where a few Teal are dabbling around the edge of the vegetation, sat on the bank is a lone Little Egret motionless like a statue for what seems like an hour but my focus is on the Scaup, but occasionally something else catches my attention a Mute Swan involved in all sorts of contortions as it baths, flapping it's wings and bending it's neck in odd angels, I get a few images.

Now the images and more or less the same with several hundred on the card so I decide just watch a bit of old fashion birding, then a couple of dog walkers appear on the far bank which sets off the alarm bells sending the Scaup off to join the security of a group of Tufted Duck who wisely are keeping well away as the dog is leaping around. 

I've had the best of the light with the arrival of cloud thats probably a prelude to the rain we are likely to get later this evening. A job done well, see you in a few weeks.

Greater Scaup






Tufted Duck






Coot




Mute Swan



Black Headed Gull


No comments:

Post a Comment