Pages

Thursday 2 May 2019

Heading South

Los Urrutias 1.5.19


With water levels high after last weeks heavy rain at locations like San Felipe and the San Pedro salinas I'm heading south to the shores of the Mar Menor around Los Urrutias for a better chance of photographing some waders. Winter's a great time of year at this location as you can use the car even down along the beach as a mobile hide, that's not the case today as there's a fair few sun bathers about so I'm having to walk out and sit on the mud using the throw over hide.

Curlew Sandpiper and Dunlin are present in small numbers sporting some nice summer plumage my main target for next couple of hours. Low and slow is the order as I make my way trying to be invisible on to the mud, making myself comfortable in the sticky warm mud the waiting starts.

The smaller the wader the more they energetically scuttle back and forth together with the heat haze it's difficult to get any pin sharp images, looks like I might have to return another day but later in the evening when the light is less harsh. Now having shot nearly 1K of images some in open blue water and some in what appears to be a "golden pond" which is in fact the reflection the Club Regatas it's more of the same, never the less I'm still clicking looking for that mega shot that could make me famous...ha !

Curlew Sandpiper - summer plumage







Ringed Plover

Easier to photograph as they stand motionless but always keeping a keen eye on you !



Dunlin - summer plumage

Quite a few Dunlin are present sporting some nice summer plumage yet to continue their journey to breeding grounds in Northern Europe.



No comments:

Post a Comment