Pages

Tuesday 4 December 2018

Distant Diver

West Kirby Marine Lake - 4.11.18


Over the last few days I have been keeping a keen interest on a Great Northern Diver that's turned up on the marine lake at West Kirby, the only reason preventing a trip to this small Wirral town overlooking the Dee estuary and Hilbre Island being the poor weather. Reports are the diver is still happily fishing the marine lake and it looks like the sun is going to shine.

I've managed to be on site for around 8.30am after negotiating the Manchester commuter traffic which is no big feat giving me most of the day to try and get some images of this uncommon winter visitor to the UK. With the last of the cloud stubbornly hanging it's still a little dark so I'm taking a time out for some refreshment after my drive in the local Morrisons supermarket.

It's turning out to be a grand day after all the rain over the last few days bringing out many walkers enjoying fine weather with great views over the Dee estuary and Wales beyond. But there always a downside...the diver is keeping to the centre of the marine lake obviously aware of people walking round the lake.

For the entire time of my visit it proves frustratingly impossible to get close enough for any sort of worthwhile shot, and with rain on the way again tomorrow unless the diver stays for another week it looks like I my not get the image I was hopping for. Sometimes that's the way it goes.

Not wanting to post loads of poor images I have included this two images as a record.

Great Northern Diver



No comments:

Post a Comment