Pages

Monday 24 December 2018

Christmas Goose

Rishton, Lancashire - 24.12.18


I've managed a couple of hours out this morning before hitting the shops this afternoon for some late Xmas shopping.....eek !

I'm on the lookout for a small group of Eurasian White Fronted Geese, a winter visitor to the UK from Northern Russia largely to South West Scotland that's turned up quite close to home. Currently associating with a large group of Canada Geese it should be easy to pick out the smaller grey geese on this fantastically sunny Christmas Eve morning.

Leaving the home village I soon see one of the resident Barn Owls in the early morning sunshine quartering the moorland edge, I decide to stop a little further along the road and get the camera out only to loose sight of the owl. Onwards and upwards.

Arriving at the location where the geese were last seen feeding in the field I'm expecting to see them as soon as I park-up...but it's never that easy !...a scan reveals nothing and I spend the next forty five or so minuets weighed down by the "big white" and tripod searching the immediate area with little success, time to try another location.

The geese have been alternating between a small reservoir and nearby fields so minus all the gear I'm going light and heading for the canal area. Now on a small rise with views along the valley I locate a group of Canada Geese feeding in fields adjoining the canal, a quick scan I soon pick out the White Fronted Geese, three adults and six juveniles, but with time running out before my shopping duties its a quick run back to the car for the gear.

On the tow path I'm as near as I can get without disturbing the ever alert geese, even the occasional walker is enough to get their attention sticking their heads up and honking alarm calls to each other. It's a grand day with clear blue sky and with the sun directly behind producing some nice image detail, the only issue I haven't a lot of time and the white fronts are mixed in amongst the Canada's preventing clean shot.

Now with the best shots I'm likely to get in the short time available something spooks the geese and half the group take to the air including the White Fronted Geese and depart into the distance thinking that's it the sessions over, well not quite as the geese amazingly all land on the canal.

Chancing my luck I walk along the tow path to probably within six metres of the geese I guess secure in the fact that they were on water, they are way too close and shooting directly into the sun the possibility of getting any decent images remote, at least it made the encounter interesting getting really close.

Time to head for the shops...wish me luck. Happy new year to you all.

Eurasian White Fronted Goose












No comments:

Post a Comment