Pages

Monday 16 April 2018

The Waders Have Gone Missing


16th April - Salinas de San Pedro

After yesterday visit to the salinas the thinking was It couldn't be as quite with the lack of waders, well I was wrong. Yesterday I managed to see Curlew Sandpiper and Little Stint in part summer plumage along with the usual residents, today......nothing.

I set up in my number one location more hopeful something will drop in, I know Redshank and the odd Greenshank are about so you never know. After an hour of waiting I decide to call time may be a visit to Lo Monte which isn't too fare away, but then I hear a call, it's a Common Sandpiper and drops in just in front of me.

The Sandpiper is moving fast, too fast really and I wish it would slow done. I get some images some way too near to look any good, but the one below is about the best. Time to move on to Lo Monte which isn't too far away.

Click image to view

Common Sandpiper


Before I head to the carpark I have one final look at the small mud bay on the other side of the road, straight away I pick up a Little Ringed Plover, Its not in the best light as the sun angle is too the side but I'm grateful for the photo opportunity.

The Plover is very confiding and carries on feeding just in front of me eventually move to the far side of the bay, time to relocate

On the far side of the salinas nearest to the sea there is always an opportunity to regular see Sanderling at close distances, other species such as Greenshank, Dunlin can also be seen during winter so that where I'm heading.

Little Ringed Plover




As I pass the water channel where in the passed I've had some very closes encounters with Slender Bill Gulls a pair of Kentish plover are watching my progress, I can see a photo opportunity if the bird positions itself on top of the mud bank so I wait eventually getting the shot....pity about the twig !!

Kentish Plover - female




No comments:

Post a Comment