Pages

Wednesday 18 April 2018

It's Local Again Today

18th April - Salinas de San Pedro


I've decided not to venture to far today with just a morning visit to the salinas on another sunny morning. It's 8.0 am and I set up in my favourite wader spot but it's quiet, in fact it's been quiet since my arrival with only a few wader photo opportunities but you never know what may turn up.

After an hour with litter activity I decide to move on and try my other favoured location but not quite having the same ideal light angle early morning. A quick scan I pick up a Greenshank a new bird for this visit and a couple of Redshank, with little other activity I decide to move on.

I'm now at the mid point in the salinas and for a change just do some birding, Gull Billed Turns "quack" over head and a single Common Tern sits resting on a stump in the water, out in the middle of the salinas Black Necked Grebes are now sporting their finest summer plumage never close enough for an image, on my way back I decide to give one final look my number one wader location before moving on to another location.

A Ruff and a Redshank are feeding at the waters edge in good light so I decide to see if I can get some images. No sooner than I'm in position the Little Ringed Plover drops in which is unexpected bonus and grab some shots. The Ruff and Redshanks are still present along with the ever present Black Winged Stilt, it's just a case of waiting for opportunity when the birds come closer.

This is also the location is also where a pair of Kentish Plover have set up territory, periodically the sitting male or the female will take a rest from incubation duties and feed along the waters edge giving some good photo opps

It's been slow photo ops wise over the last couple of days which is a little disappointing, so tomorrow I'm going to try something completely different.

Click image to view

Black Winged Stilt





Ruff




Kentish Plover





Little Ringed Plover



Shelduck


No comments:

Post a Comment