Pages

Thursday 22 June 2017

Town Hall Falcons


Like many others I’ve been following with interest via the council webcam the development of the Peregrine Falcons in residence on Rochdale Town Hall. It’s now around six weeks since the first bird hatched and already some of the young are actively exploring the upper parts of the building and only a matter of days before juveniles take to the air. Now that the recent heatwave is over I though I get down to the town centre and capture some images. 

At the nest platform there’s only one young bird remaining sat on the parapet seen earlier on the webcam patiently waiting for its next meal or even thinking is it my time to fly. A quick scan I locate two other juveniles, one further up the building and another on a ledge at the highest point at the base of the spire, the fourth juvenile I'm sure is enjoying the panoramic skyline somewhere else on the building. 

One parent bird is flying around with a new kill the other sat on its usual water channel perch high on the town hall building. Setting up the camera...bit worrying !..I initially get some static shots of the adult birds, but the young are for the most part out of sight, I'm also keen to get some flight shots of the parents birds circling the building which is a relatively easy capture as they glide in the wind 

Happy with a successful encounter and recording some reasonable images I call it a day.

Click image to view.....











No comments:

Post a Comment