Pages

Wednesday 7 June 2017

Kentish Plover Morning


With an evening flight back to the UK I have one last morning available to enjoy this great birding area so its back the salinas at San Pedro to see what new photo ops can be had. The Little Terns are now on the far side of the salt pans so I move along to muddy cove nearest to the reserve centre which can attract Avocets and Black Winged Stilts and wait, sometimes you just have to wait and see what turns up. A Kentish plover drops in on the mud which would be good photo op as I've missed this bird so far on the trip, I grab a couple of distant shots and it fly's off so I decide to move on to another location.

On the lagoon on the opposite side of the road there are a twenty or so Slender Billed Gulls, squabbling, screeching, generally making a din so I sit on the lagoon bank and try and get some flight shots, in the corner of my eye I notice a plover running like a clockwork toy up and down a dry sandy beach....its a Kentish Plover...then another, bins out, there are also young chicks so I know the birds won't stray far. As I watch for the next fifteen minutes or so there are two pairs with young chicks and a third, sitting on eggs

The plovers take no notice of me as I sit hidden amongst the scrub on the lagoon bank, on occasions a male on territory chases the other birds away, its all action. I notice a plover return to its scrape presumably with eggs which is located amongst the dead drift vegetation up against an old rope knot on the shore line, I resist getting closer happy to view from a distance getting some good images, a good encounter to finish off my trip

I'll be back in September for return migration.

Click to view...




Kentish Plover brooding on its scrape, must get some sense of security from the rope knot !


Kentish Plover chick..







No comments:

Post a Comment