Pages

Monday 29 May 2017

A Blue Chicken!


Over the period I've been visiting the Murcia region I've only ever heard the array of sounds with brief glimpses of Purple Gallinule, (Swamphen) this morning I'm at the visitors centre at San Felipe hoping to get some images of Marbled Teal (Duck) which on my pervious visit had disappears back onto the reserve by midmorning.

Its 7.0 am and the centre staff have already scattered feed to entice the teal and other wildfowl closer to the centre, then over the screen fence from the reserve pops a Purple Gallinule, briefly sitting on the fence checking its surroundings, then makes its way to the water edge to enjoy an easy free meal.

As it goes about its business its starts to make all the unusual Gallinule sounds, the smaller Moorhens seem have the upper hand making Gallinule quite skittish. The encounter last only a few minutes which seemed longer, then it disappears back over the fence onto the reserve, undoubtedly the best views of Purple Gallinule to date

Happy I got some decent images, I get back to concentrating on the Marbled Teal

Click image to view....









No comments:

Post a Comment