Pages

Sunday 22 November 2020

It Only Lasted an Hour !

Sale Water Park, Manchester - 22.11.20

It's Saturday night and the bird information alert service "pings" stating a Great Northern Diver has been found late afternoon at Sale Water Park in south Manchester, being late afternoon hopefully with no disturbance there's a very good chance it will hang around tomorrow as long as I get there early before all the walkers and joggers start flooding in the park.

Sale Water Park being located right next to the motorway is an easy thirty minuet drive so I've planned to arrive just as the light is good enough for some reasonable camera settings. Sundays mornings traffic free I've arrived on time and the lights is looking good, what not so good is I've just overshot the exit junction...doh !

Parking up there are already a few birders stood on the jetty scanning all in the same direction so I assume all looking at the diver. Having now located the diver I grab the camera gear and head off in the direction of the diver hoping it comes a little closer than the last diver outing at West Kirby Marine lake. After a short walk I needn't have worried as the diver is close in to the bank...panic ! After a few shots the diver moves back in the direction I've just come from. Now back at the jetty and the diver is again close in to the bank, more shots, at times the diver is so close I can't get it all in the frame....close or what !

The diver true to form dives appearing twenty meters always keeping me on the move. Now on the far side of the lake the diver is distant and light direction poor not really giving any further photo opportunities as within ten minuets the diver takes to the air heading off in the direction of Tatton Park to the south.

From my arrival at around 8.10am to when the diver flew off at 9.0am about fifty minuets is a very short session, in fact so short I doubt very few images were taken of the diver. For the few late comers its a missed opportunity seeing a Great Northern Diver rarely see in Manchester at such a close distance and could so easily have been me, so happy I made the effort of an early start.

Great Northern Diver





Pleased that the images below was given a "Notable" images on BirdGuides weekly photo competition, keep em coming. Link......https://www.birdguides.com/articles/photo-of-the-week-18-24-november-2020/






Great Crested Grebe





Little Grebe




No comments:

Post a Comment