Pages

Tuesday 3 November 2020

It's Elton Again

Elton Reservoir, Bury - 4.11.20

I've seen a few Greater Scaup or just Scaup at Elton Reservoir over the years, a sea duck that breeds in Iceland/Northern Scandinavia and wintering around the coasts of the UK regularly turning up on inland waters, whats unusual about this individual is that it set up residence on part of the reservoir diving and feeding as close as six to ten meters from the surrounding service track, an opportunity not to miss then !

I know exactly where to heading, a bit of a slog from where I park the car through what only can be described as some of the best mud in Bury ! and if not careful can find yourself well and truly on your backside. As I arrive at the location which funny enough is opposite the filed where the Bar-tailed Godwit which is also in residence I see the Scaup diving close by the track i'm looking forward to getting some close images.

Now being sat on the track photographing something to an onlooker has it's downside from the many questions...another cracking pose missed, also walkers with the occasional dog sniffing around your legs, but I suppose thats part and parcel of what we do.

The images below included those taken over several visits the differing light giving the image a slightly different look, some I like better than others, what do you think ?

Greater Scaup 

I've noted the Scaup has a tendency when not sleeping to dive in the same location at one end of the reservoir the only issue is when the sun is behind the cloud the water reflects the white sky, not really the image I was after, on the for side is a tree resplendent in all its autumn glory but it need the sun to make an appearance in oder to reflect the golden yellow colour into the water, its all about waiting !








The next few images were taken a day earlier in quite differing light changing the overall look of the images, I've also used auto white balance which given the images a slightly colder blue look. 

As you will imagine from the many images I have taken quite a lot are repeats of the same pose, I will add or possibly change a few as I review the remainder of the images.



No comments:

Post a Comment