Pages

Monday 3 September 2018

Rainy Morning on Ashworth Moor

Ashworth Moor/Road - 3.9.18


Having driven along Ashworth Road recently I was surprised to see thirty or forty Wagtails amongst a lot of other passerines flying about feeding along the road wall, so as I had a morning free and it's only a short drive away I though I'd have a look if they were still there and if any images were on offer.

It's a little damp as I head up passed Nutters Restaurant but at the top of the hill it's low cloud and raining, I'm not too bothered as on occasions I enjoy a walk in the rain, not generally good for birding and certainly no good for getting the camera out, never the less I throw camera pack on my back, and set off.

I start my walk is along the south side of Ashworth Reservoir, the rain and the mist is making it difficult to identify birds at long range but I do tick off a couple of Goosander and five passage Ring Plover and maybe around two hundred or so Swallows. Now at the far end near Ashworth Nursery there's not much else on offer as the birds are doing what I should should be doing, keeping under cover so I decided to head back to the car.

Now back in the car I can see along the road wall loads of Pied Wagtails both adults and this year juveniles feeding on the grass bank and then returning to the road wall, at last a chance of some images. It's still raining and the lights not that great but using a slowish shutter speed it could produce some interesting images.

Photo opportunities are a bit hit and miss as the usually quite road has the local farm tractor trundling up and down bring in the newly cut grass, as soon as the tractor passes the wagtails and pipits all scatter back over the wall into the fields

An hour has passed and it's all gone quite so with some ok images on the card and still wet from my walk, I decide call it a day and head back the sort drive for a warm cupper.

Pied Wagtail




Soggy Pied Wagtail




Pied Wagtail - this years juvenile




Meadow Pipit









No comments:

Post a Comment