Pages

Monday 29 January 2018

Greater Manchester Scaup


Elton Reservoir being slap bang in the middle of Bury is not the most pictures of places and as you would expect gets more than its fair share of dog walkers and occasional vandalism, nevertheless and surprisingly it continues to turn up some unusual interesting sightings none more so than the still present Mealy Redpoll.

Over the last couple of weeks the rain has been relentless but with a forecast of some better light I thought I’d try for some images of the Greater Scaup which had turned up a couple of days earlier. Trundling down the pot holed track to the carpark it’s still cloudy but at least it’s not raining, to make matters worse I’ve gone and left my bins back at the house..hey ho !

I pick up the Scaup at the entrance at what’s referred locally as the “creek” with the long lens, it see’s me and moves out into more open water not nearly close enough for an image so planned ‘B’ sit down under a bank and wait to see if the duck moves back into the creek. Slowly the Scaup moves a little closer and for a brief couple of minuets to sun shows itself, I grab what I think is an acceptable image but soon the light has gone and I call it a day.

It’s now the following day and I’m finishing off a couple DIY jobs around the house, looking out the window and it’s turning into a sunny day, tools down and I’m soon off to Elton to try for better images of the Scaup. Bins in hand this time I pick up the duck now with some Tufted Duck, so I positioned myself at the same location at entrance to the creek decked in camo / scrim and wait. 

It's a waiting game as dog walkers cause the ducks to move from the creek to open water and when it’s safe move back to the creek. Over the next ninety minuets I get some decent images of both the Scaup and Tufted Ducks in some decent light, well worth the return visit. 

Click image & view full screen


Scaup - taken on the first day

These scaup images were taken on the second day







No comments:

Post a Comment