Pages

Saturday 13 January 2018

El Hondo Time


When I’m out in Murcia Saturday morning is usually spent at the North Gate at El Hondo Reserve, it's generally not that good for photography as many of the birds species are at distance, today being no different.

Arriving at the usual 8.30 am entrance time, miss the time slot and you’l be locked out ! it's another brilliantly sunny day but by-heck it's a bit nippy at 4 degrees. I make my way up the reserve parking at the first tower, as per the usual Graham Critchell and his mate are already in position reeling off the birds at some mega distance, always good to have some local knowledge ! Birds of note include, Spotted Eagle, loads of Marsh Harries, Kestrel, Peregrine, wintering duck varieties greater than I’ve seen on any previously occasion, hundreds of Greater flamingos, waders, Glossy Ibis, occasional wintering Swallow and House Martins, you name it, they are all here.

All too soon its 11.30 am and its time to leave and head for the visitor centre at San Filipe which is only some four miles away, and much better for a closer photo opportunity. On the centre pool I pick up the usual Red Knobbed Coot and a male Red Crested Pochard, the light is always in the wrong direction at this location so I give the coot a miss but wait to see if there’s a possible photo opportunity with the Pochard, it disappears behind the only island in the pool for over twenty minuets, so I move on.

Having given up getting a shot of the RCP I'm heading for the boardwalk, as I pass through the garden a Robin like bird is hopping on the ground…it's a Bluethroat. Slowly I manage get low on the ground, the Bluethroat carries on with its normal business not at all bothered and at no more than three metres distance away. 

Over the next thirty minuets I get some good shots until finally another visitor disturbs the bird and it disappears over the hedge to another part of the reserve. A nice encounter to finish off the day.

Click and view full screen

White Spotted Bluethroat








No comments:

Post a Comment