Pages

Sunday 19 March 2017

Sunday Morning at Cannop Ponds


With all the signs of boar damage around the forest I thought this morning I’d get out and about and attempt to locate and photograph Wild Boar. Cannop Ponds being one area were boar have caused havoc digging up all the grassed picnic areas, so here was the starting point of my search.

Following some directions I head up into the forestry soon finding signs of boar activity, and, fifty meters further on I spotted a grey/brown object with a very active wiggling tail…wild boar ! I move a little closer remembering what my mother had said, boar are very dangerous and will charge to protect their off spring, with that knowledge at the fourfront of my mind I move closer, I count at lease three animals deep in cover grunting to each other as they route about feeding, then I’m spotted and with a couple of squeals their gone, deeper into cover.
For the next hour or so I try to get a view of the now very wary boar, not the dangerous animals they have been portrayed, at one point stumbling on four animals at around a meter distance which I have to admit had my hart pumping a little. With one record shot in the bag I head back to the ponds, Its quite bird wise but I do get some decent images of a very vocal Little Grebe










No comments:

Post a Comment