Pages

Monday 6 March 2017

Today It's Mainly Been Bittern


Having seen images of the showy Bittern at Mere Sands Wood Nature Reserve on BirdGuides I  thought I'd prioritise a visit for the next break in the weather, unfortunately its not stopped raining for the last week. It's Monday and the weather forecast is sunny intervals all day.....I'm on my way

Arriving at Mere Sands a new venue for me I'm told the Bittern is showing well, generally Bitterns are very elusive.....great I thought....the bad news the Rufford Hide is chocha with photographers...doh !. I make my way round to the Rufford Hide expecting scenes from my former twitching days of restricted views more offtern from the back. Arriving at the hide its not so bad, managing to get a seat after thirty minuets or so, now down to business.

The Bittern is making an appear every so often deep in the reed bed, not like the images I've seen on Birdguides. It's now around 1.30 pm and most people are calling it a day having been in the hide since early morning thinking there's no prospect of the Bittern showing in the open, theres only around six people remaining, then, around 2.30 pm in the now yellowing afternoon sunlight the Bittern appears, it slowly makes its way through the vegetation out into the open then down to the smaller lake to the right of the hide, cameras whirl, plenty of photo ops here. It makes its way along the waters edge, and for the first time ever for me, it wades into the water and swims to the middle of the lake, that was the golden shot !!...the few remaining photographers continue recording the action of this rare event. 

Slowly the Bittern moves to the far end of the lake and it's all over, in less than fifteen minutes. I sit and chat with my fellow photographers about what just happened. Elated and satisfied with my encounter, I call it a day. 

Thanks for looking

Click image for clarity...


























1 comment:

  1. I am Nikki Luthra and i’m looking for Travel site. I’m also looking for guest posts with backpacking and travel related Sites and blogs. I am a content writer and I love writing articles as a hobby on topics related to Travel.

    ReplyDelete