Pages

Wednesday 17 March 2021

Continental Duck !

16.03.2021

There's been several reports of RCP around the area over the last couple of months, a male I think at Elton later seen a few miles away on a lake in Walkden and several females around the Cheshire boarders but none of the areas being ideal getting images. Then just before Xmas there was a report of a drake at a location quite close that looked promising but then Covid got in the way.

Now some months later I'm surprised to see the RCP is still present on this small lake an opportunity worth having a look. As I arrive the weather is grey and overcast but it soon turns bright sunny morning, sunlight is something that can work if it is behind you, if not, can generate white water that never looks good. 

Well I'm in luck, the RCP is busy catching up with some maintenance and I've managed to position myself into a nice muddy position, sun behind enhancing that vivid orange head and red bill one of the most colourful of ducks in the region. The RCP is going through all sorts of contortions, wing flapping, bill waving giving shots different from the ordinary. Having spent over thirty minuets shooting more shots than I really need I call time. I just need now to get rid of about eighty percent of the 60 meg file rejects generated by the R5 to save clogging up my laptop !

Initially not being in great position shooting some duff images I'm happy with what I've managed, well worth the visit seeing a duck I normally see in southern Spain but I suspect is not a true wild individual, but hey, it's a morning out in some nice weather in a grey period which keeps me motivated and positive.

 Stay safe. 

Red-crested Pochard








No comments:

Post a Comment