Pages

Sunday 17 February 2019

Something New

Sunday 17.2.19


To date I haven't been a user of commercial paid hides or managed photographic sessions tending just to visit popular locations and reserves and chance my luck. Today I'm going to try something different and joining an organised group photographing some iconic BOP's, a Great Grey Owl, European Eagle Owl and a Peregrine.

As I'm not sure what the session entails I've decided to take all the gear but I suspect I'll just use the straight 500mm as being close the shallow depth of field will give a nice out of focus background.

Arriving around 10.0 am the group assemble at the first setup comprising a couple of different stumps and a tree trunk and branch ready for the European Eagle Owl. It's quite a big bird I need to stand reasonably far back to get it all in the frame, unfortunately standing so far back is also causing some issues as other snappers with smaller focal length lens are moving back and forth in front of me...hey ho ! For anyone doing one of these sessions a better option might been a 300mm f2.8 or even a 70-200mm f2.8.

On occasion the handler encourages the owl to posse into some unusual positions which would otherwise be difficult to see in the wild and very interesting to witness.

Time to move on.

Click image to view

European Eagle Owl


















No comments:

Post a Comment