Pages

Wednesday 10 October 2018

Elton Pintail

Elton Reservoir, Greater Manchester - 10.10.18


Just when you thought summer was over its sun all the way today with temperatures in the mid twenties, so with reports of a couple of new birds for me at Elton it's a morning trip out.

The road down to the boat club doesn't get any better and I wish someone would fill in the pot holes, but there's good news....the travellers in residence in the car park have moved on, but only to the adjoining field !

Arriving a bit late is never a good idea as the dog walkers are out and about with dogs very often threshing about in the water sending all birds skywards. The sunlight is a hindrance as I'm scanning the waters edge, I'm hoping for a Jack Snipe but no luck there...so onwards and upwards.

Now at the "Creek" I easily find the Pintail, it's in the same location as the Garganey I recently photographed some weeks ago. Slowly I make my way to the waters edge but the Pintail is already aware of my presence...doh...I should have brought the portable hide.

Over the next hour the duck seems at ease but its still a little distant, the hide would probably got me a little closer but its more gear to carry on a hot day. Eventually the Pintail moves opposite under the trees and with the sun angle now front-side there's not much chance of any worthwhile images, time to call time.

For the remainder of the morning its a case of enjoying the walk but I must say with the sun now directly in front it doesn't make for easy birding. It's been a great morning and with another new bird tick for the local area.

Northern Pintail - (eclipse male)








No comments:

Post a Comment