Pages

Sunday 12 July 2020

It's Cuckoo Time

North England - 20.6.20


Cuckoo one of the UK's iconic birds of summer are only around for a short time in May and June and becoming very uncommon usually and only detected by distant calling, so when I had the opportunity to photograph these scares birds I jumped at the chance.

It's 4.30am when I set off in light drizzle not the conditions I was hoping for but at least the forecast isn't for blue sky's and sun, diffused light with light cloud being preferred contions. Having arrived at my destination it's a short 30 minuet walk to a marshy field favoured by Cuckoo's, Sedge and Reed Warbler are singing not surprising the Cuckoo's are evident in this location, in the distance I can hear the first bird calling which increases my excitement levels for whats to likely to unfold over the next few hours.

Now in place and gear all set up the waiting starts but its not to long before a female Cuckoo makes an appearance, now usually when there's a female about there's usually a male not too far away, not one but two ! The action starts with the female trying to feed but both male birds are more occupied chasing the female.

I've taken hundreds of shots so I'm trying something different managing some images where both male and female birds are being mobbed by a number of Reed Buntings and a Sedge Warbler, the action is spectacular far more than my expectations. All too soon my times up and the birds loose interest dispersing to nearby woodland.

This has to be one of my highlights of the year to date and what better way to get back out with the camera after the Covid lock down.

By the time I write this blog post the Cuckoo's will no doubt be long gone on their return to Africa, see you next year.

Male Cuckoo





Female Cuckoo






Female Cuckoo being mobbed by a Sedge Warbler


No comments:

Post a Comment