Pages

Tuesday 10 March 2020

I'm Trying The Salinas

Salinas de San Pedro - 3.3.20


I've mentioned previously that the salinas at San Pedro is only a short drive for me hence a location I would be call a regular patch when out in Murcia, unfortunately several of my last visits have been pretty disappointing, perhaps it's down to the time of year or maybe even luck.

The best time to visit the salinas I find is always mornings due to the sun angle for the location I use and there's the added benefit less people looking over your shoulder wondering what the heck your doing. I have a couple of favoured locations and I'm at probably my number one, scanning the small sandy bay where Kentish Plover regularly breed...nothing, for some that would be it moving on, but not me I'm setting up in my usual spot and doing a spot of waiting, and waiting a little more. In the distance I can seen numbers of Black tailed Godwit, Redshank, Avocet and Black winged Stilt and noisy Shelduck pairing up for the season ahead but they're not for coming near.

Common Sandpiper

I'm always confident that patience pays off, hopefully something new but usually the regulars, and not to let me down a Common Sandpiper drops in back right in front of me but just a little too far away so I wait to see if it comes a little closer. I'm in the portable hide the waders approaches to within six meters feeding along the muddy waters edge but the best shots are when its in the water. Over the next ten minuets or so I get the shots I'm after....there you go...patience !








Shelduck

Shelduck are resident on the salinas but can be a bit skittish and getting near if seen ain't going to happen, but I'm inside the hide unseen and two Shelduck drop in the male preoccupied chasing the female around, it comes close in some nice light and take some images before moving off.


No comments:

Post a Comment