Pages

Tuesday 15 October 2019

Buzz Lightyear

Ringford - 12.10.19


In the couple of visits to Alan McFadyen's hides I must have spent over twelve hours of waiting for a shot that's different to what I've already captured and one of the birds that would make the weekend that should be on everyones list would be....the Common Buzzard. To date I've only managed fleeting glimpses of this very shy bird of prey, swooping towards the hide at the very last moment veering off into a tree way off in the distance...my usual view, so fingers crossed I'm hoping today's the day.

It's afternoon and I'm in the hide to photograph the Tawny Owl later tonight that requires being in position before it gets dark, on a post is a male Sparrowhawk has turned up sporting some of the finest plumage I've seen with not a feather out of place (you can see images of this BOP in another post) suddenly a Buzzard that's been sat out of sight in a nearby tree swoops down sending the Sparrowhawk off into the nearby woods, the Buzzard investigates jumping from post to post then onto some rocks, there's some great poses and the images are looking ok in the last of the afternoon light, the Buzzard all the while looking for some free offering, I'm tempted just to watch but keep to the task in hand, the camera is in overdrive capturing this one off encounter with the buffer not really managing to keep up, oh for a 1DX !

All too quickly the encounter is over that's lasted no more than maybe two to three minuets. Now I wasn't really expecting this encounter, an encounter I've not seen on previously or on subsequent visits and maybe will only will as a frequent visitor, luck maybe but it's made my weekend.

Common Buzzard











No comments:

Post a Comment