Pages

Sunday 8 September 2019

Twitching Time

Fluke Hall Lane, Pilling, Fylde Coast - 8.9.19


It's nearly twelve months since a Pied Wheatear turned up at Dove Point on the Wirral and low and behold another similar bird has been found on Sunday (2.10.19) on sea defence wall at Pilling, on the Fylde Coast. Initially the bird was thought to be a "Eastern" Black-eared Wheatear but the latest thinking is it could possibly be another Pied Wheatear. A DNA sample has been collected for analysis to determine the exact species.

Reading reports, the bird seems quite happy in the short term to remain faithful to a small section of sea defence boulders, just as well really as I'm down in Cardiff to watch Wales loose to Ireland in a Rugby World Cup warm up match.

Now back "op-norf" and a weather forecast tomorrow for sunny/cloudy conditions is all the incentive I need to organise a visit and try for some images...just in case it turns out to be a Black-eared Wheatear...well you would be daft not too wouldn't you !

It's an hours drive arriving around 8.0am, a quick scan and I can see several birders already scanning what I assume is the Wheatear so I head off in that direction. As I approach I can clearly see the bird standing on a boulder, no bins required here. Occasionally the wheatear fly's out onto the salt marsh grabbing some unsuspecting insect returning to boulders pile further along, that seem's pattern for the bird working its way along a fifty metre stretch of the defence wall.

Most birders/photographers are standing on the track but that's means shooting downwards and I think there's a better plan to be had. Making my way alone further along the track I move down amongst the boulders pile and wait, sure enough the Wheatear moves in my direction and approaches giving some very close photo opportunities. And that pattern for the remainders of the session, a case of patience and lot of waiting for the bird to return.

It's been a great morning in some nice weather, no doubt one of the reasons why there's now some thirty odd birders enjoying some great views of this scarce migrant. Happy I've managed to get the some descent images...too many images in fact, I call time.

Here's to the next outing...The Great Orme I think for the Lapland Bunting...watch this space !

Eastern Black-eared Wheatear
















No comments:

Post a Comment