Pages

Friday 20 July 2018

East Coast Puffins

Staple Island, Farne Isle's - 17.7.18


Another bird you'll find on Staple Island is the Atlantic Puffin, not as many as on Inner Farne and certainly not in the numbers I encountered last week on Skomer but still a fair few around feeding young or just sitting around on rocks behind the roped area at the jetty.

I'm starting with the big white for some static shots of the resting birds sat around on the nearby rocks eventually changing to the 100-400 for some flight shots. The Puffins are approaching from my right with bills full of sandeels and whirling wings, its a tough shot to get right as well as trying to find the best location for an uncluttered shot.

Learning for my last weeks attempts on Skomer I'm working at 5,000/sec to try and freeze the wings of one of the fastest seabird flyers, the camera auto focus is struggling a little and reviewing the images back home the shutter speed could be been even quicker as the images still lack that pin sharp clarity I am after....hey ho, the challenges of wildlife photography

Atlantic Puffin














No comments:

Post a Comment