Pages

Sunday 17 June 2018

Bempton Puffins

17.6.18 - RSPB Bempton Cliffs, Yorkshire


With the Gannet diving boat trip from this morning over for the day I have the rest of the afternoon free so I decide to have a quick trip up to the RSPB Reserve at Bempton Cliffs to give a land side perspective of the breeding sea bird colonies.

The last time I was at Bempton Cliffs was on a bus trip organised by the now defunct Rochdale RSPB Group way back when I was in my twenties.....a long time ago. The reserve now has a plush reception building with all the amenities you would expect, cafe, toilets, shop etc. The reserve itself is a 4-5 mile walk along the cliff top with a number of viewing platforms that overlook the main breeding sea bird colonies that amazingly hang on the cliff face. In my day if you wanted to shoot some images it was a case of scuttling down the cliff face as far as you dare without falling over the edge !

It's a grand day sunny day and the reserve is mega busy, so busy in fact that sometimes I fail to get space on the platforms to get the camera out, anyway I persevere and get some puffin shots amongst others bird species. I would point out if Puffins are what your after then there are better locations to photograph these iconic birds such as the Farne Islands which is not too far further north.

For the other species please see later posts.

Click image to view

Atlantic Puffin








No comments:

Post a Comment