Pages

Friday 16 February 2018

Return to Plock


It's Saturday16th of December and I'm in the Forest of Dean enjoying a beer and up pops a news feed on the Mac that a male Penduline Tit has been found earlier that day on a small set aside nature area in Gloucester. A quick check of Google Maps and the bird is located about twenty miles away at Plock Court just off the ring road, amazingly it's only about half a mile from where I'd seen two male Penduline Tit's at the Horsbere Flood Alleviation area back in 2016.

Plock Court, a small residential housing development located on the edge of fields of a sports complex with in one corner a set aside nature area with two small ponds, oddly this small area is where this bird has decided to take up residence.

It's now the following day, Sunday, on arrival two birders have already located the Penduline Tit, but it's dark and grey and the theme for the rest of the day with rain forecast for later. I manage a couple of images of the bird that mainly remained in the hedge that boarders the reserve and the dual carriage way but not really quality I was after, to make matters worse I see some fantastic images posted of the bird over the next couple of days...hey ho!

With no prospect of improving conditions or better images, I decide to call it a day around midday.

Sunday 17th December 2017



It's now some two months on and after a couple of abortive attempts I back in the Forest of Dean with another much anticipated return to Plock Court Reserve. On my previous visit in January the area was completely flooded and in December dark and wet, so with a forecast of good light I'm optimistic for some decent images can be had.

Saturday 17th February 2018

Arriving at first light the carpark gate is locked and dosen't open until 8.0 am.....doh ! Making my way across the field to the larger of the two ponds a fellow birder has already picked up the bird, thats a good start and it's only 8.20 am. The bird remains low in the reed bed only making brief appearances, then the bird fly's to a small bush next to the pond, I manage a couple of images, then fly's off in the direction of the Premier Inn.

There must now be twenty to thirty birders and togs all stood next to the small ponds and I'm sure the bird knows this, I hang around until mid day and with no sign of the bird reappearing I decide to pack it in and try another day.

Click image to view

Saturday 17th February 2018


Sunday 18th February 2018

With the disappointment of yesterday I'm keen to return but the weather forecast for Sunday is cloud and light drizzle. Saturday night the weather forecast has now changed to just cloud, weather forecasters....hopeless, I decide to go for it.

Arriving at 8.0 am, quick learner ! I'm the only person on site, Long Tailed Tits and the resident Stonechat keep me occupied, a group of Redwings feed on the grass close by, but it's back to the task in hand. The conditions are cloudy but ok with the occasional appearance of the sun breaking through the cloud, then...the bird is located in the small reed bed on the right of the large pond feeding low down in the reed bed making it almost impossible to get clear a shot.

Over the next two hours it's a case of waiting for the opportunity to get a clear shot, some times the bird stays low in the reeds, at other times it's perched in that classic shot on top of the reed mace head but always hard to get a uncluttered shot with the tangle mass of exploding wool like mace heads either side of the bird.

Now 10.30 am and with only three birders on site we have all managed to get some clear shots of the Penduline Tit, clearly you will have more success when there aren't so may people present and probably why the bird departed on Saturday.

Happy I may have some decent images I call it a day. I believe my wife has some shopping planned for this afternoon, I'm looking forward to that !















No comments:

Post a Comment