Pages

Sunday 19 November 2017

Alexandra Park Sunshine


Over the last few days there have been images posted on various local web sites of a Red-Breasted Merganser making a regular appearance on the lakes of two local parks just south of the city centre. As light conditions haven’t been particularly good recently I haven’t been inclined to try and get some images but with a break in the weather and a forecast of sunny intervals for one day only I thought now’s my chance, so on a crisp sunny autumn morning I set off on the reasonable short distance to Alexandra Park to see what unfolds.

In my former working life in the area I have a good idea of my destination which aids a trouble free drive arriving just as the park is waking up, I grab the bins and do a quick rece before I go to the trouble of getting the gear out as the Merganser has been quite mobile frequenting both park lakes. Several Goosander are sitting on a log in a small channel maybe enjoying the early morning sunshine, and the Merganser is diving along the edge of the little island, so back the sort distance to the car to gear up.

“Sawbill” ducks have a keen eye and they rarely let you enter their “safe zone” so there’s little point in chasing the ducks around the lake getting into positions with unfavourable light, so the plan today is to locate a good position with the sun behind and wait my opportunity.

The sunlight is reflecting some good colour into the water, autumn yellows and golden browns from the last remains of the trees foliage, greens from the evergreen bushes together with the naturally dark coloured water should help to make for some good images.

Its now two hours since my arrival and with some 700 images on the memory card I decide to call time and I head back home looking forward to a welcome full English, or should that be a Welsh breakfast ?  
Click & view in full screen

Goosander (Redhead-female)







Red-Breasted Merganser (Redhead-female)









No comments:

Post a Comment