Pages

Wednesday 23 August 2017

A Grand Day Out at Leighton Moss


Its 7.30 am and the rain is hammering it down outside, I’d planned to visit RSPB Leighton Moss Reserver today but the weather indicators don't look good, a quick check of the forecast and it looks like its going to be a grand day !

Leighton Moss Reserve being relatively close to home is one of my favourite birding locations, with a mixture of large expanses of water and reed beds, woodland and an outer salt mash attracting a wide variety of birdlife and also its fair share of rarities. Currently a juvenile Purple Heron had turned on Friday and was attracting twitchers and photo togs looking to get a view or that mega shot !

Arriving at the reception centre its already quite busy, I make my way down to the Grisedale Hide and its full, birders with cameras all focused on the Heron which is sat directly in front of the hide, bit of an anticlimax really as I usually like to put in some effort to get the shot! The Heron sits motionless, then walks to the far end of the reed bed and disappears….I thought thats it...but no, after about twenty minuets the Heron reappear and slowly walks back to its original location. camera shutters click, and I guess about six photo togs get some great shots, then for no reason that I can see, the PH fly’s to the far side of the reserve, and that was it, all over. Apparently the PH didn't return for the remainder of the afternoon. 

Happy I’d got some good shots I pack up to explore some of the other hides on the reserve.

Birds of note include…Peregrine, Marsh Harried ( f ), Osprey, Kestrel, Buzzard, Little Egret, Black Tailed Godwit, Green Shank, Snipe, Purple Heron ( j ) Bittern

Click image to view...









No comments:

Post a Comment